The Journal was founded in October 1955 and was originally called "Energomashinostroyeniye".

It focused on such industrial ares as nuclear engineering, metallurgical engineering, turbine and boiler construction, transport and lifting and transport engineering,
Therefore, the Editorial Board and the Editorial Staff decided to change its name.

In 1978, the Journal became a body of the USSR Power Engineering Ministry.

In 1989, as a result of the merger of three ministries (heavy, energy and transport engineering), the branch of heavy engineering was formed.
Since 1990 till present the Journal is called "Tyazheloye Mashinostroyeniye".